Monday, May 18, 2015

Let's Talk Makeup!

Since I found out I was pregnant, I started doing my research about pregnancy safety.  The more I read the more I found out about toxic chemicals in our beauty regime.  Remember, your skin is your biggest organ!! Being in TV, I couldn’t just stop wearing makeup, so I had to do my research on what the best products were that wouldn’t harm the baby.  And let me tell you they were hard to find!!  I read this article on TheBump.com, and in part it said:  
"We suggest wearing makeup that doesn’t contain parabens or fragrances. Parabens are preservatives that have been linked to birth defects, miscarriage and reproductive problems. Phthalates are used for different reasons in different products, but the main issue with them is that they could alter hormone levels. The main makeup product we avoided during pregnancy was red lipstick, since some were found to have traces of lead in their formulations.  Also, check your mascara. You want to make sure it doesn’t contain the preservatives diazolidinyl urea, which releases formaldehyde, or phenylmercuric salts, acetate or nitrate, all compounds of mercury."
Yikes!! And considering I glob on copious amounts of makeup everyday for my job, all of this had me very concerned! I didn't want to sacrifice my beauty regimen, but baby came first now!  So I started doing my research and began testing out different productions, and this is what I came up with...

Let's start with primer and foundation.  My skin tends to be a little greasy, so these two products are very important especially for television. The primer was suggested by Jessica Alba in her book The Honest Life.  

Korres Pomegranate Mattifying Primer
Formulated WITHOUT Parabens, Sulfates, Phthalates

Urban Decay Naked Skin Weightless Ultra Definition Liquid Makeup
Formulated WITHOUT Parabens, Sulfates, Synthetic Fragrances, Phthalates, GMOs, Triclosan

Both of these products can be found at Sephora. I also suggest Juice Beauty Foundation.  Juice Beauty’s products are made with certified organic ingredients that are healthy and free from toxins. They offer a complete line of cosmetics from foundation to eye color and lipsticks.  I order Juice Beauty products off Amazon. 


As far as concealers go, I prefer a creamy liquid concealer so I use tarte maracuja creaseless concealer. This is pretty thick, but it can cover up any blemish!

Formulated WITHOUT Parabens, Sulfates, Phthalates
Product does NOT contain synthetic fragrances, petrochemicals, GMOs, or triclosan

When it comes to powder I really like Urban Decay Naked Skin Ultra Definition Pressed Finishing Powder. It's a weightless finishing powder with a demi-matte finish that blends flawlessly to set makeup and cut shine. It's formulated without parabens, sulfates and phthalates.

Urban Decay Naked Skin Ultra Definition Pressed Finishing Powder


bareMinerals (Bare Escentuals) is another good brand. Free of preservatives, fillers or binders! 

bareMinerals
bareSkin Perfecting Veil

Don't forget your bronzer!
bareMinerals
A Bronze Affair Kit

Here's a little cheat sheet for applying bronzer! The sides of your face you want to apply like the #3, and I shade the sides of my nose as well for a slimmer look!  Contouring your face is an important step in the makeup process especially if you feel like you're gaining some weight in your face during pregnancy.

picture from beauty 101 blog

Here's what I use for a brow filler:
bareMinerals
Frame & Define Brow Styler

I also like to make sure my eyebrows stay in place.  I'm an eyebrow fanatic, so I use tarte tinted brow gel.

tarte colored clay tinted brow gel
Formulated WITHOUT Parabens or Phthalates


If you're looking for an eyeliner, go for this one!

Juice Beauty's Defining Eyeliner

I like to top it off with 100% Pure gel eyeliner, using an angled eyeliner brush.

100% Pure Gel Eyeliner 
Angled Eyeliner Brush


If you're looking for mascara, tarte's Lights, Camera, Flashes mascara is amazing!! It gives you an amped up look that lengthens, curls and magnifies lashes!

Formulated WITHOUT Parabens & Phthalates


Pür Minerals has some great products as well! They are free of parabens, SLS, lanolin, mineral oil, petrolatum, DEA, formaldehyde and hydroquinone.

Pürminerals Perfect Fit Eye Shadow Trio

Pürminerals Minerals Mineral Shea Butter Lipstick

I also love Juice Beauty lip products!
Reflecting Lip Gloss & Conditioning Lip Color

                    

And for a blush, I use 100% Pure
100% Pure Pigmented Blush


If you want to search for your own products, any of the brands I've mentioned above I have found to be safe!  Let's recap, and I've added a couple more:

No comments:

Post a Comment